Monday 27 October 2008

27/10/08

Yesterday, I visited the Tate Modern and it was brilliant. I went into the TH 2058 instillation by Dominique Gonzalez- Foster in the Turbine Hall. You enter through a curtain of plastic slats into an area filled with blue and yellow bunk bed frames. Sitting on most of these is a sci-fi paper back. At the end of the hall is a giant screen playing a rather surreal film. The end of the hall is filled with massive sculptures. The idea is that the rain will not stop 50 years in the future and that these works have grown and had to be brought inside to stop them growing. It also doubles as a shelter for the people who have to take cover from the rain at night.

Form there I went to the Rothko, which was a much more contemplative and tranquil experience. It was good to see the Seagram murals hung as he intended them to be seen. I was very moved by his brown and grey works on paper which he made later in his career.

I then went into Childo Meirele's exhibition. I love this Brazilian artist's work. It managed to be simple yet complex, direct yet questioning. He worked on large and very small scale instillations and I really enjoyed being able to walk through and touch some of his larger works. I wished i had seen this before I tackled 'Image and Index'. I would really like to find out more about his work.

No comments: